Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

If my cat bit our neighbor's toddler after provocation, can she sue us?

Question Details: My neighbor visited our home for a play date with her new born baby and her toddler approximately 2 years old. My wife and my 2 1/2 year old daughter were present, as well as another neighbor who had her 2 year old son. While my wife was away in the kitchen, the first little girl started poking our cat with a cat toy similar to a stick. According to the other neighbor, this little girl's mom just told her that, "Doing that was not nice" but she never attempted to physically separate them. Her daughter continued poking the cat until he snapped and bit her in the forearm. She cried for around 2 minutes and then she stopped. Her skin was not broken and there was no bleeding whatsoever. However, her mom freaked out and started asking for antibacterial ointment, which my wife provided. Then in front of us, she called her husband to inform her about the incident and she also called her dad who is a doctor. The bite left a mark and she said that she may take her daughter to the pediatrician. We confirmed that ours is an indoor cat with all the required vaccines. Our cat never bit anybody before and there are no complaints about him. The little girl's dad is a lawyer and we are concerned they may consider suing. Any thoughts?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.