Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

If my shopping cart hit another person's vehicle and I told them to get an estimate but they won't get back to me, how long do they have to let me know how much to pay?

Question Details: I was at a local grocery store and I needed to secure my 2 year old and 5 year old in their seats before unloading my cart. I put the cart against my trunk, wiggled it to be safe and put my kids in their seats. The cart started rolling and I lunged to catch it. It hit the vehicle anyway and dented the door. I told the person what happened, called my insurance company while he called law enforcement. My insurance company said that I was personally responsible since it was a cart and not my vehicle that did the damage. Law enforcement arrived, took an incident report and we exchanged information. He called with an estimate that night but he wanted another estimate from another company. That was a week ago. How long do we have to wait for his estimate? Is there a time limit for them letting us know how much we owe? Am I actually personally responsible for the damage or is his auto insurance responsible as long as we pay the deductible? What do we need to do?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.