Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

What to do in a situation of multiple owners of a house if they cannot agree as to whether or not to sell?

Question Details: I've recently been interested in buying up a property. The 4 owners of the property obtained it as a Trust when another individual passed away. Now, 1 of these owners who does not live there at all, is refusing to sell the property to spite the other 3. It is also presumed that when the homes mortgage comes up to be paid that he will not pay his share of it, the insurance or the taxes. He apparently refuses to pay anything in regards to the home. If the other owners act in good faith and pay their share, does the fourth owner loose rights to the property or are all 4 considered to have defaulted? What happens if he chooses to pay none of his share but the others pay it to keep it from defaulting? This is relevant to me since I'd rather not loose months of hard work and discussions with the family and instead have to switch to talking about the sale with a bank instead.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.