Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

What type of lawsuit can I bring against an emotionally abusive ex-boyfriend?

Question Details: I was involved in a traumatic, abusive relationship for 7 months 7 years ago. Due to the relationship, I became severely mentally ill and am still ill and receiving Social Security disability. I've been unable to work full-time for 16 years. Would I be able to file a lawsuit, for either mental anguish lawsuit or intentional infliction of emotional distress against my abuser? Could I at least file a report with the local police department?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.