Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

What it the law regarding a change in zoning and a pre-existing and now non-conforming business?

Question Details: My father owns 15 acres in a rural area. He bought the land in the early1970's and has used the property as a salvage yard since that time. When he purchased the property there was no zoning, and for almost 50 years it has been used as a salvage yard. Now, after years of this property not being zoned and being a salvage yard, suddenly the county decided to zone the property residential. No one bothered to notify my father of the zoning, they just did it and then told him afterward by sending a notice of violation. I dont see how this could possibly be legal I mean, come on, its been a salvage yard for 50 years, now they're just going to come in and put houses in? How is that even going to work? What about all the oil, anti-freeze, power steering fluid, brake fluid, battery acid, gasoline that has undoubtedly soaked into the ground over the years??? Can you just build houses on top of it and call it good? I wouldn't think so. Do they expect my dad to pay for the cleanup since theyve decided it's going to be residential now? How is that fair or legal?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.