Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

What is considered to be malpractice?

Question Details: My girlfriend, who was medically diagnosed with depression, was seeing a family doctor. She was prescribed medication then moved to another state. She got a new doctor and told him everything that was going in and in her past. She asked for medication to he refilled because she was almost out. The doctor refused to prescribed medications until she saw a psychiatrist. He knew, however it would take at least 2 months to be able to see one. Fast forward 2 months and her depression was extremely bad. To the point where she attempted suicide. She was only able to get 2 therapy sessions in and was going to get a psychiatrist schedule on her next visit before her attempt. At the ER we were told that she should have never quit taken her medication cold turkey as it will bring her down to a new low and she should have been weened off of it. Her new family doctor knew she was depressed and had attempted suicide before but still refused to give her something to help knowing she wouldn't be able to get any help for a long time and let her get to the point where she did and have to return to the hospital. Is that enough for negligance or no?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.