Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

If you pay for a storage unit and it's on private property and someone hits your parked car, is the owner liable?

Question Details: My husband rents a storage unit. About 6 days ago, my husband, my son and I went to the storage facility. We pulled in by our unit and there was another truck parked away from where I parked. A man was just sitting there with his motor off. My husband had just gotten out of our truck and then the other guy started his truck up. He hit the gas and was coming towards me, so I sounded my horn. I had no time to move out of the way. The guy hit my truck and upon impact my husband got hit by our truck door and it knocked him into our storage door hurting his arm. The guy admitted to the cops that he was at fault and claimed that he didn't see us. He was driving a big truck. My husband contacted the owners of the storage units that evening. After we got home he left a message on her machine. The next morning he called back. The secretary said that the owner had just walked in and she was going to play the message to her and that she would have the owner call him back. She has not called him at all; she is dodging him. Can't she be held liable for anything? The guy who hit us claims that he is their employee. My truck is destroyed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.