Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

If you are given incorrect information when trying to file an appeal, does the court have to give you additional time?

Question Details: I had filed a negligence case against my neighbor. Her dog came into my yard and killed my dog. The judge ruled I did not bear the burden of proof even though the facts clearly show my neighbor to be responsible. I went to file an appeal within the 30 day allowed period and was told the supervisor for the county magistrate court and the Superior court that I couldn't file an appeal because they said the judge ruled the case dismissed. He also ruled the burden of proof ruling two separate defendants I've been told both ways and am planning on going down to file a "de novo" claim this week. If indeed I had to file an appeal and missed the deadline because I was not allowed to file by the supervisor of the clerks, does the court have to allow me to still file, even though the 30 days are long gone? It would seem so but since I am pro se I don't have enough background to have that knowledge and no lawyers will take my case with out a retainer twice the amount I'd get from my neighbor is she paid her promised debt to me in the first place Yes, I have a detrimental reliance case here.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.