Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

If a mover negligently damages items of only sentimental value, can I successfull sue?

Question Details: I just completed an international move from the U.K. to the U.S. The moving company did all the packing and delivered the items to me. Upon opening the boxes, I discovered that they packing was done extremely poorly. I will make a claim against the insurance for the items with cash value, which were insured. However, important items with little or no cash value were either accidentally destroyed Hindu idols packed with no padding in a large box along with tools such as hammers or intentionally destroyed my child's art balled up and used as packing material. I would accept that damage happens if care had been taken, but this seems like the damage was due to negligence and not bad luck. If I want to find a lawyer, do I hire one in the U.S. or in the country of origin? Does the fact that I had not insured these items mean that I have no protection for their damage?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.