Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

If a DUI fee creates an extreme financial hardship, can it be reduced?

Question Details: After the judge wouldn't consider a possible diversion county mental health was in support due to the situation, wrote letters and had 2 reps there, she verbally insulted me and my character in court, and then gave me a very high penalty. Being a disabled single parent on a fixed income the fines were more severe on me then others in my 3 month class, with a higher monthly rate then 2 parent employed families I was wondering if there's a way to appeal to the court. I am not a criminal, yet now I have a criminal record. I had a perfect driving record and had always followed the laws. I had fled an abusive situation and would never otherwise had driven. I wish I could appeal to another judge. I had a lawyer who shoved me back to not talk in the court so I did not plead my case to her. She was biased from the beginning. What, if anything, can I do? With insurance and bills, I'm left with not enough. We already were thifty but now it's bad. I understand the penalties are for deterrence but this is extremely harmful. Can I appeal to have my fees reduced? Can I have it appealed or expunged? I just found out today that I won't be able to accept the employment offer in the preschool because I won't pass the clearance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.