If I need a mortgage modification to make my mortgage more affordable and also want to get a home equity loan to consolidate debt and make that more affordable, which should I complete first?

Question Details: I need to get a mortgage modification because I became ill and am having trouble making payments. Throughout the course of the illness, I also incurred a lot of debt that isn't covered by any financial assistance and the monthly payments are killing me, so I also wanted to get a home equity loan or fixed rate line of credit. Which should I do first? I am very confused. Ive been reading that modifications can hurt my credit score, so should the home equity loan be done first? Will I jeopardize my chances in getting a mortgage modification if I get a home equity loan and then file for a mortgage modification soon after? It shouldnt affect this second mortgage if I file a modification, but I dont want to give my mortgage company the impression that I can pay the monthly payments on my first mortgage any more easily just because I got a home equity loan. I somehow need to do both the mortgage modification on my original mortgage and the home equity loan or line of credit in order to get all of this back under control.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to AttorneyPages.com and retain an attorney to represent you.