Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

What can I do if I wrecked my girlfriend's car and due to a break-up her mom is now is telling the insurance company that I did not have permission to drive the vehicle?

Question Details: I am a 20 year old college student. I was involved in a rear-end accident that was my fault. I was the only person in the vehicle when the accident occurred. There were no injuries but there was damage to both cars. At the time I did not own a car, nor did I have insurance. The vehicle I was driving was my girlfriend's car that was insured and registered to her parents. About a week after the accident, my girlfriend and I broke up. Angry over the break up, her mom called the cops and her insurance company and claimed that I had did not have her permission to drive the car at the time of the crash. There were no charges filed. However her insurance company, is now refusing to cover the other vehicle damages in the crash, due to their customer saying the vehicle was stolen. I recently received a letter from the insurance company of the other car in the accident demanding $15,000 from me. I don't have that money nor do I have any assets for them to come after. I am worried they will garnish my wages. Should I just ignore the letter?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.