Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

What are my rights if I was assaulted by a mall security guard for shoplifting?

Question Details: I was accused of shoplifting. Once mall security was called, I was seated in a private office. The police were called and while waiting for them to arrive, I said that I wanted to call my mom. Both the mall security guard and the store manager said I could not use my phone and that I was going to be handcuffed if I tried. While seated in the chair clutching my phone and my wallet refusing to give both over the male security guard, who was at least 6 foot 1 and 250 lb compared to my 5 foot 8 145 lb female frame, he forcibly pulled me from the chair and slammed me into the ground. I have numerous injuries during the scuffle. The security guard then placed his knee on my back and started to pull my arms behind me. I stated numerous times that I could not breathe and I noticed that his arm was in front of my face, so I bit him in self-defense. I did not break the skin. I have now been charged with assault and battery. However, I feel like I was just defending myself against a security officer that had no reason to pull me from a chair and throw me to the ground. What is my recourse? There is video of this event.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.