Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

What can I do about a bad reference from a former landlord?

Question Details: I rented an apartment 2 years ago with a roommate. He and I both signed the lease but a year later I moved out. This was my first time renting any place and my roommate told me that I didn't need to bother taking my name off and that he would be renewing the lease with another roommate. I trusted him and moved. Then, 6 months ago, his roommate shot a hole in the wall with a firearm by accident and they received a notice of eviction. They moved out in a timely manner and paid for damages so the apartment complex said they were never actually evicted and thus an eviction isn't on their record. My problem is that my name was still on the lease. My wife and I have been turned down by several places to rent because they called my former apartment and were told of the incident. I know I messed up bad and it's biting me in the butt. What should I do?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.