Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

What to expect if I overstayed my visa but now want to return to my country voluntarily?

Question Details: To make a long story short, I came to Puerto Rico on vacation to visit my boyfriend and we ended up getting married. The thought of leaving was heartbreaking, so I overstayed. That was 9 years ago, now my spouse is emotionally abusive, and I just want to go back home to England. I would be getting a ticket, my passport doesn't expire until next year. I know that I will be barred from entering the U.S. for a minimum of 10 years, which I am completely fine with at this point, but I'd like to know if there are any other consequences, such as detainment or being made to pay a fine?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.