Do I have any recourse if I have a car that my ex-boyfriend bought me and is registered/titled in his name but he cancelled the insurance without telling me so the police impounded it and took the plates?

Question Details: The police pulled me over. I got insurance and filled out the paperwork that my ex had sent me to transfer the registration and title to me. I have all of the paperwork. My ex is gifting the car to me. I went to motor vehicles with proof of insurance and all the registration and title paperwork. However, DMV said they won't issue plates because car have not had insurance for 200 days. The car is still impounded. I'm wondering what the proper course of action is for me to take from here. The car is still in my ex's name and in impound.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to and retain an attorney to represent you.