Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

What are my rights if my husband has willfully let our house go into foreclosure?

Question Details: My husband, we are currently in the process of divorce, has not paid the mortgage in 4 months. I am not on the mortgage but was told at the beginning of the divorce that all property in Vermont is marital property whether it's in one name or both. We were attending case managers conferences to determine the distribution of assets and I now find out that the mortgage company is beginning foreclosure on the home. I requested all bank statements from June 2018 to current, and going through them my husband has spent thousands of dollars on dating sites/ porn/ etc. and the totals of those purchases would have been more than enough to cure the default. I was told by a friend of both of ours, that he is planning on letting the house be foreclosed on and that his parents will purchase it at a fraction of the home's current value. Can I do anything about this? Can he actually willfully let the house be foreclosed and his parents buy it for him to still live there?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.