How to recover my valuables if they are locked in a friend's house?

Question Details: I am a musician and visual artist. My friend and I planned on building a photography darkroom in his house. I brought the necessary supplies there. I wound up having to move from my then apartment across the street from his house into a very small room and had no place to put all my musical equipment and artwork. My friend offered to keep it at the house along with the darkroom gear I had already put there for our project. I moved into a large house and wanted to get my belongings back but discovered that my friend's phone had been disconnected and he did not come to the door when I knocked. An internet search revealed that the house had been sold and that the sale is pending but has not closed due to unpaid property taxes. I found the realtor representing my friend and he originally agreed to let me into the house but a few days later someone else from the office emailed saying my friend id still living in the house and I should try knocking on the door. I tried again and no response. Should I call the police and would they be able to help me get in I would need to hire movers, so how would I coordinate this?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to and retain an attorney to represent you.