How to receive refund for check for an mistaken overpayment?

Question Details: I wrote a check to my dentist in which I accidentally wrote an incorrect and smaller amount in words than the correct amount I wrote in numbers. The dentist's office said they were paid the smaller amount and asked for another check to make up the $500 difference, which I provided. I have now found that my bank paid the larger amount, so I am out $500. How do I get this corrected?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to and retain an attorney to represent you.