Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

How to drop charges regarding a domestic violence charge?

Question Details: My sister's ex-boyfriend and her got into an argument. He ended up stabbing her in the leg but she's okay it was a small wound. It was with scissors. He was arrested of course but he already has an assault with a deadly weapon charge on his record from somewhere between 6 to 8 years ago. He admitted after being Mirandized this time that he committed the stabbing. She wrote out a witness statement but now she wants to get the charges dropped, however she doesn't know if she can or where to even begin. Her ex-boyfriend had been out of jail from the previous charge for somewhere around 4 to 5 years with no other charges in between that time. Now they're worried that since he's already had those previous charges for an assault with a deadly weapon and they're trying to charge him with assault with a deadly weapon that they're going to hit him with an after former and give him a long time. I'm just trying to help her by looking for advice on where to get started to try to drop the charges or what she would need to do to lessen the charges just anything.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.