Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

How to add a partner in a C Corporation?

Question Details: I am a NY resident but I have been a 100% shareholder of my C Corporation which was incorporated in DE 10 years ago. However, the business was dormant for a few years, then started to be active last year but hasn't been making profits yet. I'm interested to add a friend of mine as a partner in my business to help me in the growth of the business with marketing and clients' acquisition. I would like to know what are the best options and legal steps to do so? What type of agreement should be created? Do I need a partnership agreement? Should I use my residence address or the corporation address in the agreement? If I need a partnership agreement, do I have to sell my shares to this partner? Do I have to amend my certificate of incorporation? I already contributed several amounts to my corporation and business expenses through those years. Also, I will be owning the corporation at 75% and my partner 25%.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.