Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

How do I pursue a legal action against a tenant who has seemingly disappeared?

Question Details: About 2 years ago, we rented our home to a family while my husband was deployed overseas. After 2 months they fell behind on their rent. My husband tried to work with them to get current the entire year. When he returned state-side about 20 months ago, we served them with an eviction and they disappeared. Literally, moved out in the middle of the night. The home was left full of trash and massive damage was done to the structure. We have been unable to attain a forwarding address, they are no longer at their previous places of work and we have had no success in reaching them on all other forms of communication we had. They owe us $10,000 in rent and more than thank in damages to the home. How can we pursue legal action against our previous tenants if we cannot find them to serve them papers?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.