Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

What can I do if my mortgage has been repeatedly sold and transferred and now the maturity date has changed?

Question Details: We refinanced our house 16 years ago for $65,000. Our loan was then sold to a bank that subsequently went under at which point it was sold to another financial company. I did fall behind a few times while it was with the last lender but always paid the money to catch it up. Then, 5 years ago, my husband became disabled and was earning no income and we also took custody of grandkids so that they didn't go into foster care; we qualified for our state's hardest hit fund. They paid our mortgage for 2 years and we had to pay taxes on the money as if it was an income. then the 3rd lender sold out mortgage to another lender. It was originally a 30 year mortgage but when it got sold this 4th and final time, somehow the maturity date turned into 2054 when it should have been 2033. We still owe$61,000 on the property. How can I still owe much money? How can that be possible?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.