Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

What can be done if the executor is taking my portion of an inheritance?

Question Details: Our mother passed about 5 months ago. My sister and I are the beneficiaries of a house that my sister has lived in, rent and utility free, for 36 years. She had POA over my mother and did not consult with me on anything. The Will makes her executor. It states that we divide the assets in half. She wants to buy out my half of the house and claims there are no other assets. This is fine by me; I'm not greedy. However, she now wants me to pay half of mom's care, even though she was getting all of mom's to care for her and was still living rent free. She also wants me to pay for repairs to the house made over the years she and her husband lived there. She will not give me any probate info, she just tells me that it's held up in probate. There are no liens on the property. I feel that since she has had the benefit of living in the house before death, after death, after I get my half, that she has no right to ask me to reimburse her for any of it. I also think that she owes me rent for the months she has been living in the house since mother's death. She has threatened to sue. She will not let me see the appraisal on the house and wants me to take her word on its value. I need to find a way to get through to someone in probate so I can find out the truth.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.