Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
How Can We Help You?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

If I am on the deed to a house, can I be denied my share of the equity regarding a partition?

Question Details: My now ex, abusive partner and I purchased a home 7 years ago. The deed is held in both our names as joint owners with rights of survivorship. He was in the financial position to purchase the house outright for cash; there is no mortgage or other encumbrance on the property. My income is less than $10,000 year due to permanent disability. I had no funds to contribute to property purchase so it was to be considered a gift. I have witnesses but no legal documentation other than the deed. I left a stable safe living situation to move into this house with him, which I would not have dared do without some legal protection, given the near impossibility of securing housing on my low income. He owns other property which he held in his sole name, I never considered mine, only half this property in my name. He named me as beneficiary of retirement fund and other monies, which he has removed, as his right. He offered to give me $5,000 for a quit claim deed and I declined. He has now filed a partition action saying putting the house in my name was in name only and is asking for the property to be assigned solely to him. Can he truly just change his mind or is the deed binding?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.