What are my rights if my employer can't/won't pay me for work performed under contract as a mobile developer?

Question Details: I signed an agreement with a startup company as a iOS mobile developer. My contract outlined specific employment and payment terms. Now, 6 weeks into the job, I have not received a payment as was initially agreed within the terms of the contract. I questioned the CEO several times and was given a multitude of reasons why he can't or shouldn't pay me and even attempted to imply that my hard work/time wasn't worthy of payment. What is now clear to me is that the CEO and the business is not doing well financially, which is why he is doing everything possible delay or avoid paying me for my development work. I have since stopped all work for the company and demanded payment as defined in the terms of our contract. I have contributed a significant amount of code to the company's existing iOS application. The CEO is now demanding that I supply him with all code changes I've made during my week tenure with the company. I say that all contributed code are my proprietary technology until I receive fair payment for my work. What's the best way to proceed?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to AttorneyPages.com and retain an attorney to represent you.