Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

If my employer promised stock options but never delivered, can I sue?

Question Details: About 4 years ago, I rejected multiple other job offers that promised good benefits (401k, etc.) because this small and promising company offered stock options instead. I was thinking that I could help the company grow, I thought it could be a good idea to accept their offer and get in to that as soon as possible. Owning stocks in the company I work for has always been good motivation for me. After the 90 days that he required me to wait passed, I sent him the email asking for the stock options sign up but he postponed the paperwork, then postponed it again, then again. Finally he told me that the stock options were off the table for new hires for now. I felt he wanted to say it will be on the table soon. I kept waiting and asking for it a couple of times after that. I felt cheated and tricked in to the job, however I tried to just think about him in a good way, not to take it personally and try to cut him some slack. Now, 4 years later, the company almost doubled the number of clients. At this point, I don't know if I should continue asking since they always say, "Oh yes let's schedule a meeting next week" that that never comes. I felt cheated and that my employer did that for pure greed. I am thinking on leaving the company very soon. I no longer want to bring up the stock options issue because I don't plan to stay for longer. Can I sue for that plus having him pay legal fees? I want to sue based on the value of the stock options value 90 days after my hiring and the current value. Since it is a private company the only way to know would be to ask them or subpoena them. What are the legal options?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.