Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
How Can We Help You?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

What is my recourse if an ER doctor failed to diagnose my injuries?

Question Details: About 2 months ago, I fell off of a ladder that was sitting on a elevated porch at a new home build construction site. The fall distance was approximately 15-18 feet. I busted my head open and sustained a leg injury, as well as bruising all over my left side. I was taken to the ER and the attending doctor sent me for X-rays of my legs and a CAT scan of my head injury, no broken bones. The doctor stapled my head injury closed with 12 staples and sent me home without addressing my leg injury. I returned to the ER 12 days later, and had the staples removed. I then asked to speak with same doctor who saw me the first time. When he came in I asked him about my leg injury. He glanced at my leg and stated that it was an infection, prescribed me antibiotics and told me to follow up with a workers' comp doctor. After taking the 10 day supply of antibiotics, I went to the workers' comp doctor. When he glanced at my leg he stated that it was a hematoma. When I asked him what a hematoma was, he explained to me that as a result of my fall, I had broken blood vessels in my leg. Also, on further examination, he stated that I had nerve injury to the leg. Do I have legal grounds to sue the ER doctor/hospital since he failed on not 1 but 2 different visits to properly diagnose the injury to my leg?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.