Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

What to do regarding a faulty HVAC replacement?

Question Details: My husband and I went under contract on a house last month and went through the usual inspections, repair requests, etc. When we got to the appraisal for our VA loan, the appraiser discovered the air conditioning was out. The seller's agent said he discovered it the day before and was working on it. They replaced the unit with a 5 year older different brand and said that we were good to go. We had an HVAC inspection for piece of mind and it was found that the new unit was not a match and not functioning at its potential capacity. Also, there was rusting and it had paint chips and the inside unit had fungus, leaks and rust as well. We are 16 days from closing and when we presented the report to the seller's agent and asked for a replacement of the system, they shot back that they were within contract by having a functioning unit and weren't going to replace it and if that's what we wanted then we could cancel the sale and they would sue us for breach of contract. I don't know if we have any leverage. Our agent says its a lot of gray areas but I feel like it would be more against them than us.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.