Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

Do I have recourse if I believe my landlord is not holding up their legal obligation to re-rent?

Question Details: In order to purchase our home we had to break our lease with 4 months left. It states that we owe rent until the unit is re-rented or until the end of the lease. We cleaned, moved and turned in our keys in the third week of last month and paid this month's rent at that time. We have driven past a number of times and it does not look like anyone has been in the unit since we left. Usually after someone moves out, they will repaint and sometimes re-carpet or replace appliances. We lived there for 6 years and went through probably 8-10 different neighbors between the 3 other units near us. No unit was ever empty for more than 2-3 weeks and there has been a waitlist on occasion for units. I understand the letter of the lease but out state also puts a legal obligation on the landlord to mitigate damages, which I am paranoid they are not doing as our rent is higher than a new tenant's would be. Now the landlord expects the next month's rent. Do we have any recourse at all or without solid proof are we just left holding the bill for the remaining 3 months?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.