Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

Do I have any legal protection for my property that is at my fiance's home if I would like to end the engagement?

Question Details: I've been engaged for 2 years and dated my fiance for 2.5 years. Shortly after our engagement, I moved most of my belongings, furniture, antiques, my children's memorabilia, etc. to my fiance's home which is 1.5 hours drive from where I live and where I work. I live part-time with my elderly parents, as well as my fiance. I help take care of my mother who is severely disabled and my father who is showing signs of dementia. Therefore, my permanent address is listed as my parents not my fiance's home. My fiance has bipolar disorder and has proven to be irrational, unstable, has anger problems and has threatened me, as well as denied that his med change isn't working. He needs to go back to the doctor for a different script and seek counseling. His parents agree with me and have tried to convince him to go to the doctor but they live out of state for some of the year. I have tried to break it off with my fiance but he has sent me numerous unpleasant texts and has called me. He is very angry that I have ignored him. He has started to call my father's cell and tried to convince him to have me talk to my fianc. I want to move my things out of his home and into a storage unit. I also need to make sure that my ex-fianc doesn't destroy my things as he has indicated that "I haven't seen him really mad yet" and has threatened me. I am afraid of him because he has had a violent past and has been arrested for violence-bar fights, was in the war and was a sniper, he hunts, and I don't know if there are any weapons in his home for sure. I haven't seen any but I know he knows how to use them and how to build a weapon/rifle. What are my legal rights in getting my things from his home? What are my legal rights for my protection against him?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.