Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

Do I have a claim against an internet service provider regarding a possible breach in my security?

Question Details: About 6 months ago, I ordered business internet from an ISP. Then, 4 months later, I saw on my account 2 pieces of equipment never issued to me. The company stated that I should have the items and would be held liable. They send out 2 supervisors and a technician and after investigating, they concluded that the missing equipment was given to an unknown party by their contract installer. The supervisor stated that they found evidence of this which the installer left behind (items identifying the missing router in the building communications room). Since the equipment was active and operating on my account, the installer must have also given my password away. This would explain why each time I changed my password, it would revert the next day. Can the company be held liable for breaching my internet account security? What should I do next? They have now said they disconnected the equipment and won't charge me but it still shows up on my account as "status unknown" and I am afraid that all my information whenever I was on line was copied, stolen and that my credit may be compromised in the future.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.