Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

Who is responsible for accidental damage to someone's personal property?

Question Details: I have a landscape company and a resident had an under-the-car protection mat lying on the driveway in a condominium community, just outside the lawn area 18-20' off the grass. As I came around the planting bed to turn on the pavement, I noticed the mat but it was too late and got sucked up into my mower, causing part of it to shred. There was no way to see it, nor enough time to stop when it came into view. The homeowner claims that we were negligent and should have been more aware, however I have been in the business 17 years and have never come across such an item nor knew of its existence. It is a dark gray and blended with the drive and it was in the shade. I feel it is the homeowner's responsibility and it is commonly know to assure the area is clear of obstacles when we on the property. She was aware we were servicing the property, as I noticed her, roughly 20 minutes prior to the incident, but was, as mentioned, unaware of her article in the drive.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.