Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

Could we sue for not getting the title of a car?

Question Details: My boyfriend bought a car from a couple a few months ago. He has been struggling to try to get the title in his name. He went to the DMV and they told him he needed insurance to do that first. The man who sold him the car asked if he had gotten the title in his name yet and when my boyfriend had explained he was working on it but was working on getting the car insured first he was told that the man had done it without insurance before and it should be easy. Later, after both the man and his wife and tried to argue that my boyfriend wasn't doing this fast enough, they finally realized that they had not done their part to send in their information to the DVM and it was because of that that my boyfriend wasn't able to get the title in his name without insurance. Due to him not being able to get the title in his name he had to contact the original owners of the car to have them help him get it out of the impound lot after it was towed in a snow emergency. It has also gotten him tickets and a suspended license for not being able to get the title and insurance soon enough. Is this something we, or more specifically he, would be able to sue the people he bought the car from for? If so, what would/could it be for? Could there be multiple charges like emotional damages and compensation for the tickets and things?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.