Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

Can we allow our daughter to build a permanent residence on property that is already being used as security for our current home mortgage?

Question Details: We own 14.41 acres; 1 acre free and clear and 13.42 acres are used as security on the new home we built 3 years ago. The County now regulates to add an additional residence, you must have a minimum of 2.5 acres. I only own 1 outright. Our plat would have to be redrawn to "show" 2.5 acres as a different "plot" on the same property. We currently have 2 parcels for taxes; 1 for the new home sitting on 13.41 acres and 1 acre free and clear that I own. If we redo plat to change to 13.41 acres to 11.91 2.5 2.5 to allow daughter to build by county rules, isn't this a big problem to my mortgage company? As stated, my escrow pays both parcels now, 1 for the home and 13.41 acres and another parcel for 1 acre. I don't know if I can allow daughter to build a residence on a new drawn 2.5 acres when 1.5 of those acres are really tied up in my current mortgage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.