Can someone put a stop payment on check for money that they owe me?

Question Details: I received a check as a payment for hours I had worked on a side gig. However, I got hurt on that gig and could no longer do the job. The man gave me a check which I deposited. It cleared but the next day those funds were removed from my account because he put a stop payment on it. Now he refuses to give me the money for the hours I already worked because I will not be returning to complete the job. He also made sexual advances which made me very uncomfortable. The next day, I brought in a helper to make the job go faster and so I didn't have to be alone with him. Can he do that? I have written proof of him saying what he owes me and that there is nothing to discuss unless I return there and keep working. What can I do?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to and retain an attorney to represent you.