Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

Can my employer refuse to comply with a retirement cash out form?

Question Details: I have recently left an employer and received severance and retirement cash out. In order to receive my retirement cash out, I had to fill out a packet. Within the packet was a requirement to have my spouse sign that I was receiving cash out and have it notarized. It stated both my spouse and notary signatures had to be on the same date. This was done. Additionally, the last page of the packet stated I had to sign in front of a witness and get the witness signature, with these signatures on the same date. I have done this and submitted the packet. My former employer is now stating they cannot action the request of cash out because the date that my witness and I signed are after the date that my spouse and notary signed by 7 days. It does not state anywhere in the document that the 4 signatures have to be on the same date. When I asked about this they said they knew but that they wanted it that way anyway. Can they force me to redo the packet and delay my cash out?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.