Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

Can I break my lease without paying due to unsanitary conditions?

Question Details: I moved into a 1 bedroom apartment about 10 days ago without viewing it due to the previous tenants still occupying the space. Upon moving in, the smell of mouse urine/droppings filled the air and mold on top of it. To make maters worse, there were spiders/bugs/centipedes and my car was towed by the complex in a parking lot with no tow warning signs. After I got my car back, I talked to them about the insects etc. This was done yesterday. Although I know we signed the lease and I get that we made a deal, I feel that we had no idea what we were getting. They only had weak pictures of a place that resembled the apartment we moved into. I am afraid to sleep now because of the insects we have found; I fear that my cats and dog will get sick if they accidentally eat one of the creatures as well as us ourselves getting sick of having them about ourselves. I don't want to stay here anymore even though the complex is supposedly going to fix it. I can't trust this place and don't think that I will ever be comfortable here. Can I break my lease and not worry about a charge? Is there anything I can do other than wait?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.