Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

Can a widow be made to pay husband's final hospitalization?

Question Details: My husband fell and hit his head in a parking lot while I was out of town. He sustained massive head/brain injuries and never regained consciousness; he passed away the next evening. It took me more than 12 hours to get home so I missed day 1 of the 2 day hospitalization. I stayed the night with him and all day on the final day of his life. I signed nothing. I had no idea who all had attended him and what they did before I could get there. He was in ICU and was admitted through ER. He did have insurance through his employer but it looks like when all is said and done, there will be several thousand dollars outstanding, about 12 to 15 different billers involved. Am I responsible for paying those balances after insurance pays? He had no Will and no estate. We lived very simply and were married 40 years. I am left with no income now, except a percentage of his social security. What should I do as these outstanding balances come due?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.