Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

Can a speeding ticket be re-issued after dismissal?

Question Details: I requested a formal hearing for my speeding ticket 5 mph over limit, actually went 22 over. During the process I talked to the prosecutor who reduced it to an impeding traffic violation. However, I had come to the court to explain my situation and so was still further pondering on accepting the deal won't get into specifics about explanation here. The prosecutor was incredibly aggressive reiterating how much of a bargain this was and requesting I go sit down in the lobby and further think about it. Called me back in and told me that he requested the officer to not show up in order to not waste his time? Additionally that the case would be dismissed since he didn't show up. Then proceeded to harass me saying that if I didn't agree to the deal that after the case would be dismissed he would personally ask the officer to re-write the ticket for 22 over and give me a lot more points. Firstly, can a cop re-issue a ticket after its already been dismissed? I assume that there's a loophole here where it's technically a new ticket for the same incident but I'd like to get confirmation. Secondly, can this be considered harassment?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.