Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

Can my landlord keep my deposit?

Question Details: I have an apartment of 8 months out of a 12 month lease. My job has moved me to another city. I've rented a house there to save on the long and sometimes very dangerous commute, as I travel down the I25 corridor with the construction that has seen now almost 400 deaths so far this year. I informed my landlord of my intention to move and agreed to pay my rent until my lease ends, or until such a time as it is re-rented I sooner than the lease ends. My landlord informed me a day later that I would be forfeiting my security deposit. He has not once visited or entered the apartment since we rented it. There is no damage beyond wear and tear, no smoking in the apartment, and no rugs to be cleaned. Also, I deep scrubbed and cleaned entire place, so no maid service is needed. Additionally, I have caused no monetary damage as consequence of decision to move and I have paid all utilities and rent on time and continue until lease ends. Can he legally keep my deposit?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.