Can I visit the U.S. if my permanent residency status has been abandoned?

Question Details: I've lived and worked in the U.S. for 28 years,with a British passport and permanent residency status. I returned to the UK 3 years ago to rebuild my life since being widowed 6 years ago. I've been a supply teacher in the UK for the last 3 years. I would like to return to the U.S. to resume my life, with my sons. Additionally, my mother has asked me for support - as she is elderly and is a full-time carer for her elderly husband. I wasn't aware of the law otherwise I would have returned sooner.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to and retain an attorney to represent you.