Can I travel while my green card is in process?

Question Details: I will apply for my chage of status in about 6 weeks after my wife gets citizenship. We are already legally married since last summer. We are planning a wedding overseas and we want to leave a country in 6 months for 3 weeks. I would like to know what are the risks that I will not be allowed back in the country? What can I do in case I am not allowed back? I know that it takes up to 8 months to get the green card. However, I know that there is a travel document - Advanced Parole, which I can get within 4 month. I hope that this document can help me to reenter the country. What is the purpose of this document?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to and retain an attorney to represent you.