Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

Can I take a company to small claims court for breach of an oral contract if no money was paid?

Question Details: I received a quote to provide demolition services from a local contractor which I accepted verbally and through text message 6 weeks after it was originally issued. Through the subsequent verbal and text communications received from the contractor he agreed to move forward to obtain the necessary permit. Now after 2 months of messaging back and forth the contractor does not want to provide the service, claiming he would not make any money on the job. Can I take him to small claims court to either require him to perform the work or obtain a monetary judgement against him? Please note, I did not pay any funds to him upfront or at any other point in time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.