Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

Can I sue if I was fired with no compensation after being cleared to go back to work after an injury?

Question Details: I had a non-work related injury; I fractured my foot and had to take some time off work to recover. The total time was 1 month, employer said it was OK, to feel better and let her know of any progress, I checked in after every appointment. The moment I was cleared for work I sent the message that I could go back to work as long as I don't lift too much weight. I then received message back saying that my job was no longer available because they had to hire other people to take my place during the month and that the payroll had been maxed out. I did alot for the company and played a vital role, the company paid us as independent contractors even though everyone was full-time working there everyday and did not pay overtime. I recieved no compensation for being fired and no notice before I told them I was ready to come back to work. Legally can I do anything?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.