Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

Can I lose custody of my kids if I am in a different state in sober living?

Question Details: For the last 3 months I've been in another state for rehab. My wife filed for divorce but there is inactivity so it will be dismissed. I have full custody of kids which I've had for 8 years due to her many stints in rehab and mental health stays. Up until recently I have no history of alcohol addiction. I have had no contact with kids or her except for money. She has said that I need at least a year to get well. I feel as if she trying to get custody. The twins 13 years old.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.