Can I get rid of the car that I am filing a civil claim for?

Question Details: I was rear-ended by someone who didn't have insurance. Now I need some way to hold that person accountable for the damage he did to my car. Since it was totaled, I had to get a different car. I have nowhere to put my old car and am wondering if I can get rid of it and use the pictures and the estimate from the body shop to take the at-fault driver to court to get money for my car even though I don't have the car in my possession anymore.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to and retain an attorney to represent you.