Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

Can I get restitution back from an individual if I overpaid?

Question Details: I smashed someones grill at his house at a party and he called the police and the police pressed charges and the person filed for $400 in restitution. He told me the next day that if I paid him for what I broke he would drop the charges. I paid him $1600 not knowing he only filed for $400. This is all documented with witnesses. I then got charged a minor fine by the police but was asked to pay the victim $400 for restitution. I cleared it with the judge and officer as he knew I paid it already. However, can I go back after the victim for the $1200 extra that he claimed he needed for restitution?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.