Can I get into trouble for taking children out of a dangerous situation if I'm not a family member?

Question Details: My daughter has 2 friends who live in a home where drugs are used. Tonight they called me to come and pick them up from their house where there biological father was trying to punch one of his children in the face. Their mother is also on drugs and told them if they were to leave she would report them as runaways. She also said since they left she is going to report me for kidnapping. Is there anything I can do to help these kids? Can I get in trouble for taking them out of a dangerous situation?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to and retain an attorney to represent you.