Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

Can I be legally charged for fraud regarding a car purchase or what steps should I use to prevent it?

Question Details: I bought a car with lien from my friend's friend under arrangements that the car will be paid off by the seller. I bought the car for $5000 the real value is $35,000 and agreed that once lien will be paid off by the seller I will pay the balance. The seller signed the title and I already transferred the car into my corporation's name since the car is used for work. However, the seller disappeared and obviously, doesn't want to pay for the loan. My company is doing badly and it cannot afford to pay for the lien balance nor I can afford to lienholder. So, my corporation left out with a car that costs $35,000 which I bought for $5000 but with the lien on it. I'm afraid that the car can get repossed and, if it does, I don't really care, it's my fault. However, I afraid that the seller of the car who still responsible for lien can make up stories that the car was fraudulently sold or I bought it knowing that the lien is not going to get paid. Can me or my company get criminally charged for fraud or any other criminal case (e.g. fraudulent conveyance)? What should I do in this case to legally protect myself except for voluntarily giving up the car.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.